Vliesofix (aka Bondaweb) 30cm x 1m - $4.40 (GST inc.)
Vliesofix, also known as Bondaweb, is a paper-backed, double-sided adhesive web, used mainly for fixing in place fabric for applique.
It can be used with almost all fabrics, raffia, cardboard and (at lower temperatures) leather, is washable in temperatures of up to 60 °C, and dry cleanable.
How to use Vliesofix:
- Trace the outline of the shape onto a piece of vliesofix and cut out.
- Position on the back of your fabric (rough side down), ensuring that there are no creases in the fabric.
- Iron the paper & fabric using a medium-hot iron (60°C maximum), without steam, for about 5 seconds. Make sure your iron is not to hot for the fabric you’ve chosen.
- Cut out the shape and peel the paper from the back of your fabric.
- Iron the item you are applying applique to.
- Position your fabric shape onto it, coated side down and iron on.
The manufacturers’ instructions suggest that you use a damp cloth between the iron and fabric, but I’ve had good results without this.
- Leave flat for about 20 minutes, allowing the glue to set properly
- Now, sew around the shape either by hand or machine, and you’re done